Project Description

Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents

The Parent and Grandparent Super Visa allows the parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to come to Canada as visitors for a period of up to two consecutive years at their initial visit without having to renew their status. The visa will be valid for up to 10 years allowing for older members of a family to visit loved ones in Canada without work rights.

Who can apply for a Super Visa?

The visa is for parents and grandparents of Permanent Residents or Canadian Citizens. at the parent and grandparent super visa is only for people who have children or grandchildren that are either Canadian citizens or have permanent residence in Canada. You cannot use this visa to visit someone who does not permanently reside in Canada. Additionally, there are certain other conditions you need to meet. Applicants cannot be inadmissible to Canada and It is important to note that no dependents can be included in this application. Only parents or grandparents, together with their spouses or common-law partners, may be included on an application for the Super Visa.

Applicants from TRV and TRV-Exempt countries

The Super Visa is ideal for parents and grandparents living in countries that require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for entry to Canada. By obtaining the super visa, they will be able to travel freely between Canada and their country of residence without the worry and hassle of regularly re-applying for a TRV.

They may also apply using the same application process. Instead of being issued a visa, however, they will be given an official letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that will authorize their visit for up to two years at their initial entry.

Financial support (proof of funds)

The child or grandchild who invites you must prove that their household meets the minimum necessary income. The size of the family unit includes the parent(s) or grandparent(s) being sponsored.

The Application Process

The Super Visa application process is similar to the TRV process, however additional documents will be required to prove that sufficient funds are available to ensure that the Parents and Grandparents are well supported financially while in Canada. This requirement includes the following:

  • A letter of invitation from the chid or grandchild in Canada.;
  • Documents that prove the child or grandchild meets the Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) minimum (see table below);
  • Proof of the relationship with child or grandchild, such as a birth certificate that names him or her as a parent; and
  • Proof of medical insurance coverage for at least one year with a Canadian insurance company.

Size of Family Unit Minimum necessary gross income
1 person (your child or grandchild) $25,921
2 persons $32,270
3 persons $39,672
4 persons $48,167
5 persons $54,630
6 persons $61,613
7 persons $68,598
More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add $6,985

To find our if you are eligible to sponsor your parents or grandparents, please contact our office to speak to one of our certified Immigration Counselor