Project Description

Study Permit

Prospective International Students who want to study at a Canadian post-secondary institution, must apply for a Letter of Acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI) when applying for a Study Permit. 

Canada is home to some of the most elite education institutions in the world, so it is not surprising that so many students choose Canada for higher studies. If you want to study in Canada, you will have to apply for a Study Permit. 

It is important to note that a study permit is not a visa. A study permit is what you need to become a student at what Canada calls ‘designated learning institutions’. The main condition for a study permit is that you need to be enrolled in the DLI for its duration, otherwise it becomes invalid. Sometimes, institutions may lose their designated status. Depending on when the status is lost, the international student may be affected.

  • If an individual submits an application for a study permit with a letter of acceptance from an institution that is not a DLI, the study permit application is refused.
  • If an individual submits an application for a study permit with a letter of acceptance from a DLI, but the institution loses its designated status before the study permit can be issued, the student has three options. He or she may:
    • Withdraw the application;
    • Submit a letter of acceptance from a different DLI;
    • Do nothing, in which case the application will be processed according to the information provided. The application will therefore be refused.
  • If an individual receives a study permit for a DLI, and the institution loses its designated status after the study permit is issued, the student has two options. He or she may:
    • Transfer to another DLI;
    • Continue studying at the non-designated institution until his or her study permit expires. In this case, the study permit may not be renewed for the non-designated institution.

There are many other limitations which may be added to your study permit depending on the level of education you pursue. 

You do not need a Study Permit if your program of study is less than 6 months in duration.

Why you need to get a study permit

Foreign nationals are required to obtain a study permit for engaging in academic, professional, vocational or other education or training that is more than 6 months in duration at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada. A study Permit gives a student legal Status in Canada. It allows a student to Live, Study and Work in Canada temporarily until their program of study is completed.

Requirements for applying

Before you apply for a study permit, you need:

  • an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • a valid passport or travel document
  • proof you can support yourself, and any family members who come with you, while you’re in Canada

Generally, you must apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. Some people can apply for a study permit from within Canada. In some cases, you can apply when you arrive in Canada at the port of entry. 

To find out if you qualify for a Study Permit, please complete our  Free Assessment