Project Description

Get a permanent resident card

When you are travelling, you need a permanent resident (PR) card to prove you’re a PR when you return to Canada.
If your PR card expired, you can renew your card by submitting the appropriate application form and supporting documents. You still have your PR status even if your PR card expired.

Returning to Canada without a permanent resident (PR) card

You need a valid PR card to return to Canada by plane, train, bus or boat.

What to do if you don’t have a valid PR card or your card is about to expire

If you’re outside Canada and your PR card is expired, you need to apply for a PRTD (Permanent Resident Travel Card) to return. Normally, you apply for a PRTD at a visa application centre in your home country.

If you want to leave Canada: renew your PR Card before you leave
If you don’t get your card in time, apply for a PRTD from outside Canada.

To find our if you are eligible to sponsor your parents or grandparents, please contact our office to speak to one of our certified Immigration Counselor.