You have a number of options to stay in Canada after you graduate.

Having a Canadian credential plus domestic work experience makes you a prime candidate for several immigration programs.

There are some streams that just require a credential, such as a master’s or PhD, but having Canadian work experience or a job offer opens the doors to more possibilities.

After you graduate, you may have the option to get a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which will allow you to work anywhere in Canada for up to three years. You can apply for immigration from Canada anytime before your PGWP expires, but even if it does expire while you are waiting on a decision for your application, you may be able to stay in Canada on a Bridging Open Work Permit.

The best immigration program for you will depend on a number of factors such as:

• Where you are located in Canada;
• Where you intend to live in Canada;
• Your highest education credential;
• How much work experience you have;
• What kind of experience you have;
• Your official language proficiency;
• How long you are willing to wait for your application to get processed; and
• How much you are willing to pay in application fees.

Express Entry

Express Entry is the main pathway for economic-class immigrants. It is an application management system for the three Federal High Skilled immigration programs: the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Worker Program, and the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

You can be eligible for multiple programs once you have a profile in the Express Entry pool.

Provincial Nominee Program

The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) allows Canadian provinces to offer pathways to permanent residence to immigrants who would be a good match for their labour market. Most Canadian provinces operate their own PNPs.

It is a two-step process for a PNP. First, you apply for a provincial nomination from the province. Then, if you get the nomination, it supports your application for Canadian permanent residence. Only the federal government has the power to provide permanent residency status.

Do you want to see if you qualify?
Start your assessment now